Monday 14 July 2008

Mission 1. Day 1

Greetings Friends.

Thanks so much to Renaat, Lil, Larry, Lynda and Buffedstuff for the kind words of support. You guys are the first to leave comments on my Blog. As soon as I get a moment I will pop by your own blogs and say hi.

My weight: 100kg
My BMI: 32%

Well as you may have read, I planned to get up early and crack on with my first gym session at 7am, I failed! I went to bed at 12.15am and then could not sleep for the life of me. At around 2am I got up and read a book for an hour in the hope I would get tired, normally when I read late at night it’s a sure way to fall to sleep but even that didn’t work. I forced myself back to bed at around 3am and I think I finally drifted off at around 5am. My wife woke me up at 8am, I got up immediately and grabbed something to eat.

Breakfast: 1 small bowl of porridge (fist size serving) 1 mug of green tea.

That was perfect to set me up for the coming session, I waited about an hour before heading off to the gym which takes about 5 minutes walking briskly. By 9.30am it was already baking hot so I got a great warm up on the way to the gym.





















It’s amazing just how quickly your fitness levels decline if you stop exercising, I used to be able to run for an hour non-stop but this morning I had to break up my 20 minute run with walking. Another thing I was acutely aware of is the heat, even with air-con it’s a way different environment to workout in here in Indonesia than in the UK. I felt like I was going to throw up soon into my cardio work out so this first week is going to be more about conditioning myself and getting used to the heat and thin air but this extra challenge is not going to put me off.





















After my run I had to sit for about 15 minutes as I was not feeling great, I know for sure it was a mixture of lacking stamina and the heat factor. Before I left for home, I managed to churn out 2 sets of 30 mountain climbers, something similar to squat thrusts and as fast as my legs would let me. They certainly got my heart pumping again and the walk home which is up hill finished me off, my legs were jelly.

After my shower I ate my second of the six planned meals.
Home-made vegetable soup, two small ladles. 1 can of tuna, 185g.




















I have the feeling that my fitness levels will return quite quickly, had I been a complete stranger to regular exercise it will be a different story. I am lucky, I suppose, that my body type is slim, my arms and legs, shoulders and chest are reasonably lean, my gut on the other hand is a disaster area also my lower back falls into this category. I am sure once I get my metabolism turned up, I am going to see results very soon. It’s my mind, my determination to continue that I need to fix and to not give in to all those sweet things to eat.

In my personal shredding plan I am going to visit the gym twice a day, in the morning I will hit the cardio and in the evenings I will train with weights. This is a system that worked well for me during my first attempt at getting a six pack, only managed a 4 pack; however, I do need to watch myself after such a long time out (8 months) so I will only do weight training every other day for the first week and I will not hard work the same muscle groups on following days.

So at 5pm this evening, and thankfully a much cooler time of day, I nipped off back down to the gym and hit the weights. The following is what I achieved, setting myself a benchmark for the first week.

Upper Body Workout:

Chest
Bench Press: x12 - 22kg x10 - 30kg x8 - 40kg x6 - 50
Dumbell Flys: x12 - 16kg x10 - 18 x8 - 20 x6 - 25kg

Back
Pull Downs: x12 - 70kg x10 - 80 x8 - 100 x6 - 110kg
Dumbbell Rows: x12 - 12kg x10 - 16 x8 - 18 x6 - 20kg

Shoulders:
Seated Dumbbell Press: x12 - 10kg x10 - 15 x8 - 20 x6 - 25kg
Lateral Raises: x12 - 6kg x10 - 8 x8 - 10 x6 - 12kg

Biceps
Alt Dumbbell Curls: x12 - 8kg x10 - 10 x8 - 12 x6 - 15kg
Barbell Curls: x12 - 10kg x10 - 15 x8 - 20 x6 - 23kg

Triceps
Lying Triceps Presses: x12 - 8kg x10 - 10 x8 - 12 x6 - 15kg
Triceps Kickbacks: x12 - 6kg x10 - 8 x8 - 10 x6 - 12kg

Tomorrow morning I will attempt to rise at 7am and complete another cardio session but I wont be returning in the evening for weight trainning, I will rest one day before hitting them again.

The time now for me here in Jakarta is 9pm so I will sign off but I will pat myself on the back, I am pleased with how the day turned out. One down, 84 to go.

By for now

Mark

"Shredding is for life, not just for Christmas"

3 comments:

Michael said...

Mark, sounds like a great plan.

DeDe said...

Hi Mark! I found your site via Lilla's blog and just wanted to stop by and cheer you on.

I've lost & gained a substantial chuck of weight a few times in my past, but think that a system of support has been what's made the difference in my fitness "sticking" this time.

Plus, someone once told me that each time you try puts you that much closer to the time it will be for good. The idea that the end result is positive and forever brought me hope and comfort. I hope it does the same for you.

P.S. That soup looks incredible! :-)

Anonymous said...

You had a great day! And really worked hard. Get some good rest and relish in your accomplishment.